Saturday, January 15, 2011

Book Review: FULL DARK, NO STARS

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a huge Stephen King fan.  He has a style that feels good in my head as I'm reading.  I anticipate the arrival of each new King book the way your average crackhead might relate to, and that suits me fine.  It's been that way for about as long as I can remember and God willing it will stay that way for many years to come.   

What I'm trying to say is, please understand that I personally find something to like in everything Stephen King writes, so it should come as no surprise that this review is not going to be a negative one. 

What I will do is give my honest opinion based on what I call the four levels that make up most people's knowledge of the man and his books. 

The Levels are as follows...

Level 4 - You have never read a Stephen King novel but you've heard of him.  You're not really into "horror stuff" and you're shocked when I tell you THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION is based on a Stephen King story.

Level 3 - You've read one or two (or three or four) of his books, mostly because you're either dating or are married to someone who pestered you into doing it  You liked it well enough, but you're still not all that into the "horror stuff".  My wife is a perfect example of a Level 3.

Level 2 - You were a huge fan at one point in your life but you've "outgrown" him.  

Level 1 - You are the choir and I'm the preacher.

Now that we have that out of the way let's move forward with the review shall we?

FULL DARK, NO STARS is a book that is made up of four separate stories.  Three of the stories are a little over a hundred pages long while a fourth is about thirty.  Those of you who feel King tends to get a little wordy have nothing to fear with this one.  Each one of these stories move very fast.  This is King firing on all cylinders.  And those of you who might be turned off by the supernatural nature of a lot of King's books have nothing to fear either.  With the exception of an allegorical ghost and a roadside salesman who may or may not be the devil, all of these stories are very much grounded in reality.  But be warned, that doesn't mean there aren't certain parts of this book that will haunt your dreams.  In fact, as King himself says in the afterword, "The stories in this book are harsh.  You may have found them hard to read in places.  If so, be assured that I found them equally hard to write in places." 

So using my 4 level system, let's break this book down story by story shall we?


The story 1922 takes place in the same year as the title.  It tells the tale of a lethally stubborn man who paves a road to hell for both him and his 14 year old son when he decides to murder his wife.  

Level 4 - Hmm.  This one's pretty dark, but it's a great American Gothic.  Check it out!  


Level 3 - Do you like a great page turner?  Well do you?  Of course you do.


Level 2 - This is King channeling Steinbeck circa-GRAPES OF WRATH and du Maurier circa-REBECCA (with just a hint of Chandler circa-DOUBLE INDEMINITY.)  In many ways, I think it's probably the darkest thing he's written since APT PUPIL.

Level 1 - You're going to love it. 

OK, next story...

BIG DRIVER is at its core a revenge fantasy tale in the tradition of DEATH WISH or I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE.

Level 4 - You might want to skip this one.


Level 3 -  Between you and me, this is probably my least favorite of the four.  Please don't read too much into that.  It's very readable and it keeps you on the edge of your seat all the way through, but a central part of this particular tale involves a very brutal rape and this part was pretty hard to get through.  It's not that King goes into gory detail, but he writes in a very matter-of-fact style that really drives it home in a way that is all too real without beating you over the head with what's happening.  Powerful stuff, but it's not for everyone.

Level 2 - The problem I have with this story is, you kind of have to use some suspension of disbelief in order to enjoy it in the last half, because the lead character makes a few questionable decisions for the sake of the story.  


Level 1 - You're going to love it.


NEXT!


FAIR EXTENSION reads like one of those great TWILIGHT ZONE episodes.  It's the tale of a terminally ill man who is sold an extension on his life at the cost of a the life of the one person he hates the most.  Seems like a cut and dry deal doesn't it?  Of course it isn't.

Level 4 - Did you like The Twilight Zone?  Come on, I know you did.  Everyone likes The Twilight Zone.  Anyway, if so you'll really like this story.  At 30 pages (and that includes the title page) it's the shortest story in the book and if you have some time to kill at Barnes and Noble this would make a nice read.

Level 3 - See above statement.

Level 2 - This one is a lot of fun.  It would have been perfectly placed in SKELETON CREW (my person favorite King short-story collection.)

Level 1 - You're going to love it!

And now for the grand finale!

Mark my words, A GOOD MARRIAGE (the last and in my opinion best of the bunch) is going to make the next great Stephen King movie.  When I think about what someone like David Fincher would do with this one my geek-meter hits red.

Level 4 - Imagine you've been married for over 25 years.  Imagine one day you find a box belonging to your significant other that you shouldn't have.  What's in the box?  Oh, very bad things.  The worst of things when you stop and think about it.  What would you do?  

Level 3 - Are you into true-crime?  Are you familiar with the BTK murders in Kansas?  This story takes it's influence directly from that case.

Level 2 - As I read this story I imagined it was a sequel to STRAWBERRY SPRING and I found it rather enjoyable.

Level 1 - You're going to love it!

There.  Over.  Out.  'Night all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment